Two Seattle Audition Workshops at Theater Puget Sound
with Atlantic Theater Co. director, teacher and author Karen Kohlhaas (bio below)
Saturday, January 14, 10am-5:30pm
MONOLOGUE MASTER CLASS
Prepare for TPS and other monologue auditions with Karen's complete technique, used by actors and teachers all over the USA:
In this intensive one-day workshop you will learn to love monologues by learning to:
• DIRECT your monologues with clear staging that's fun to do and to watch
• ACT your monologues as truthfully with 'no one' as you can with a live partner
• AUDITION with great showmanship in your entrances, exits, and transitions
Actors will learn the entire technique by working on and finishing one monologue of your choice.
You will get feedback on monologue choices, and will do prep work from Karen's book in advance of the workshop.
"We'll say it: monologues are hard. Legendary director and teacher Kohlhaas addresses this stick in the actor's craw from
preparation to execution, demystifying one of the most difficult forms of theatrical audition." —BACKSTAGE
Sunday, January 15, 10am-5:30pm
FEARLESS COLD READING
Be an artist in the audition room! This class includes Karen's 10-point cold reading technique that shows you how to
• Commit right away—regardless of the amount of prep time
• Prioritize the prep time you do have
• Make strong choices that work for the style and genre of the script
• Connect with your partner/reader
• Have fun listening to and "riding" the script
• Trust your instincts, and engage your sense of play & adventure
• Have FUN with both cold and prepared auditions!
We will also work with my signature technique "How to walk in the audition room door" using BEFORE and AFTER
films of participants so you can see the (often huge) difference yourself.
“I had to cold read at an audition the other day with a casting director and she said, 'I can't believe you just got that side 2 minutes ago!'
I felt so confident in making bold instinctual choices, so thank you again." —Monica West
"I'm so happy I took your class! I start rehearsals for Les Liaisons Dangereuses at the Booth on Broadway!
I'm so excited and grateful! My entrances and exits were terrific because of you!!!!" —Joy Franz
For actors with previous training. TO ENROLL: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to hear about future Seattle/NW workshops?
Join Karen's newsletter list at www.art-and-audition.com/contact-newsletter/
You'll also receive a free chapter from her newest book.
Karen Kohlhaas is a director, teacher, filmmaker and author. She's a founding member of the Atlantic Theater Company, a senior teacher at the Atlantic Acting School, and a master teacher of the Practical Aesthetics Acting Technique. Since 1993 Karen has also specialized in monologues and audition technique, showing actors how to be artists in the audition room. She has directed multiple mainstage productions at Atlantic, and also at the Public Theatre, Ensemble Studio Theatre, Ars Nova, St. Luke's Theatre, New York Live Arts, Naked Angels, the Culture Project, the 24 Hour Plays on Broadway, regionally, and in the UK and Australia. Karen's books and DVD are
• The Monologue Audition: A Practical Guide for Actors (foreword by David Mamet)
• How to Choose a Monologue for Any Audition
• The Monologue Audition Teacher's Manual
• The Monologue Audition Video (DVD)
All available at www.art-and-audition.com
Karen teaches guest workshops around the country and internationally including theaters, schools, conferences and universities in Atlanta, Austin, Seattle, Dallas, Miami, Mississippi, the UK and Australia. Her short films include two with acclaimed performer/playwright Taylor Mac, and she is currently at work on a feature documentary about Tennessee Williams in Mississippi (www.TennWmsDelta.com