TPSOnline.org Message Boards
October 22, 2017, 04:51:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Member? Are your events listed on http://seattleperforms.com? List them now!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TWO SEATTLE AUDITION WORKSHOPS January 14 & 15  (Read 883 times)
TPS Admin
Administrator
Diva

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »

TWO SEATTLE AUDITION WORKSHOPS January 14 & 15
with Atlantic Theater Co. director, teacher and author Karen Kohlhaas (bio below)
at Theatre Puget Sound

Saturday, January 14
MONOLOGUE MASTER CLASS
10am-5:30pm

Prepare for TPS and other monologue auditions with Karen's complete technique, used by actors and teachers all over the USA:
In this intensive one-day workshop you will learn to love monologues by learning to:

• DIRECT your monologues with clear staging that's fun to do and to watch
• ACT your monologues as truthfully with 'no one' as you can with a live partner, using Practical Aesthetics* acting technique
• AUDITION with great showmanship in your entrances, exits, and transitions

Actors will learn the entire technique by working on and finishing one monologue of your choice.
You will get feedback on monologue choices, and will do prep work from Karen's book in advance of the workshop.

Full Participation - $150 [this level is now full but you can join waiting list, or take audit level]
Audit (Observer) - $75
For actors with previous training.
TO ENROLL: Please send pic/resume or description of training/experience to  info@art-and-audition.com

"We'll say it: monologues are hard. Legendary director and teacher Kohlhaas addresses this stick in the actor's craw from
preparation to execution, demystifying one of the most difficult forms of theatrical audition." —BACKSTAGE

Sunday, January 15
FEARLESS COLD READING
10am-5:30pm

Be an artist in the audition room! This class includes Karen's 10-point cold reading technique that shows you how to
• Apply Practical Aesthetics* acting technique to your cold readings for power and simplicity
• Commit right away—regardless of the amount of prep time
• Prioritize the prep time you do have
• Make strong choices that work for the style and genre of the script
• Connect with your partner/reader
• Have fun listening to and "riding" the script
• Trust your instincts, and engage your sense of play & adventure
• Have FUN with both cold and prepared auditions!

We will also work with my signature technique "How to walk in the audition room door" using BEFORE and AFTER
films of participants so you can see the (often huge) difference yourself.

Full Participation - $125 - Limited space available
Audit (Observer) - $65
For actors with previous training.
TO ENROLL: Please send pic/resume or description of training/experience to info@art-and-audition.com

“I had to cold read at an audition the other day with a casting director and she said, 'I can't believe you just got that side 2 minutes ago!' I felt so confident in making bold instinctual choices, so thank you again." —MONICA WEST

"I'm so happy I took your class! I start rehearsals for Les Liaisons Dangereuses at the Booth on Broadway!
I'm so excited and grateful! My entrances and exits were terrific because of you!!!!" —JOY FRANZ

Can't do these, but want to hear about future Seattle/NW workshops?
Join Karen's newsletter list at www.art-and-audition.com/contact-newsletter/
You'll also receive a free chapter from her newest book.

KAREN KOHLHAAS is a director, teacher, filmmaker and author. She's a founding member of New York's Atlantic Theater Company, a senior teacher at the Atlantic Acting School, and a master teacher of the Practical Aesthetics Acting Technique. Since 1993 Karen has also specialized in monologues and audition technique, showing actors how to be artists in the audition room. She has directed multiple mainstage productions at Atlantic, and also at the Public Theatre, Ensemble Studio Theatre, Ars Nova, St. Luke's Theatre, New York Live Arts, Naked Angels, the Culture Project, the 24 Hour Plays on Broadway, regionally, and in the UK and Australia. Karen's books and DVD are
• The Monologue Audition: A Practical Guide for Actors (foreword by David Mamet)
• How to Choose a Monologue for Any Audition
• The Monologue Audition Teacher's Manual
• The Monologue Audition Video (DVD)
All available at www.art-and-audition.com
Karen teaches guest workshops around the country and internationally including theaters, schools, conferences and universities in Atlanta, Austin, Seattle, Dallas, Miami, Mississippi, the UK and Australia. Her short films include two with acclaimed performer/playwright Taylor Mac, and she is currently at work on a feature documentary about Tennessee Williams in Mississippi (www.TennWmsDelta.com).

*PRACTICAL AESTHETICS is an acting technique and philosophy developed and taught by playwright David Mamet and actor William H. Macy.
Mamet and Macy taught the technique to New York University students who would become the founders of the Atlantic Theater Company in the 1980's.
The technique emphasizes extreme focus and simplicity, making it a powerful tool when applied both to scenework and to audition technique. Over the last 30 years, Atlantic has become an acclaimed Off-Broadway theater, and the Atlantic Acting School has trained thousands of actors through NYU and in their own programs. Past students and grads include Atlantic company members Clark Gregg, Felicity Huffman, Maggie Kiley, Kristen Johnston and Jason Ritter; and, Rose Byrne, Eddie Cahill, Edwina Findley, Simon Helberg, Jessica Alba, Zoe Lister-Jones, Eloise Mumford, Matt Fox, Elizabeth Olsen, and many more.

NULL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: