An Invitation to Playwrights: A Single-Act Play Competition
University House (UH) is a senior residence in the Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle. For many years residents have performed one-act plays adapted for a “reader’s theater.” To extend its involvement in theater, UH residents are sponsoring a contest in which talented and creative playwrights of the Puget Sound region are being encouraged to submit one-act unpublished and unperformed plays for UH performance. Awards are: 1st $1000. 2nd $750. 3rd $500. and any other plays selected $200. Admission is not charged for performances.
The following conditions apply:
· Submitted plays, evaluated anonymously by a UH panel, will be selected on the criteria of acceptability, quality, and appropriateness.
· Authors are to submit one signed and three unsigned hard copies of the play.
· Plays will be produced, directed, and performed by UH residents in a
“reading theater” format.
· Scene descriptions and background notes may be read by a narrator.
· The number of characters is limited to 5.
· The play is to have a 40-60 minute duration.
· There is no suggested theme.
· Authors are allowed to submit only one (single-act ) play.
Playwrights submitting a play will receive a performance schedule and are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Deadline for submissions: January 1, 2016. Awards will be announced approximately a month later.
Please include author contact information and self-addressed stamped envelope for notification of UH receipt of play.
Please address any inquiries to: email@example.com
Please mail submissions to:
4400 Stone Way North #433
Seattle, WA 98103